Your homework for Wednesday, August 22, 2012…
Listen to Working Voice Talent
Your first graded assignment is a listening exercise. Listening to other talent is an essential part of learning. Listen to commercial demos. They are readily available online. Use one of the resources listed here or find other places to listen to demos – for example – do a search for Talent Agent and you will find demos on most Talent Agent websites these days. Listen to both genders.
www.voicebank.net (Voice Over Talent Agency – then select Union or Non-Union)
www.voice123.com (Look for “Performs voices for:” Select Commercials)
Listen for several things and if you don’t have the sheet in the workbook, create a grid with 5 columns and fill in the following information for at least 5 demos.
- The name and gender of the talent
- The overall technical quality of the demo. Is it good, great, or not so good? Does the demo sound “real?” Like the samples on the demo have actually been produced for a paying client?
- The kind of voice on the demo – young, old, deep, rich, quirky
- What is the pitch of the voice – high, medium, low
- The acting ability and range – does the voice artist sound like they can act or are they simply reading the words and is there variety in the samples?